Thursday, July 9, 2015

If "swagging is bragging," then I'm all in!

This past weekend, I won a World Series of Poker (WSOP) Texas Hold 'Em event in Las Vegas at The Rio. It was a small satellite game, but even so, I was the last man standing. It was the real deal. I bluffed, I called, I went "all in" twice, and I won the final hand and all the money. Woo Hoo!

When the tournament ended, I was so happy that I asked the dealer, "Where's my bracelet?" in jest. You see, all poker players know that an iconic, diamond studded, WSOP bracelet has been awarded to legendary WSOP Main Event winners since 1976, in the tournament's early days. Players like Doyle Brunson, Johnny Chan, Phil Ivey, and Phil Hellmuth have won and flaunted their gaudy jewelry to the awe of poker-wannabes and lesser winners (like me).

What strikes me so, and the reason for this blog, is that without even thinking, I blurted out that I wanted a commemorative piece to remember this event, this epic victory. It was visceral. In all seriousness, I did not expect a diamond bracelet (since this was not the Main Event), but I was surprised that money was the only thing that the winner would receive. "Really? You don't even have a rubber bracelet?" my promo-mind probed. With that, the tournament director smiled at me and said that she would be right back with my bracelet.

Once back at the table, with pen and a 1/4" tan rubber band in hand, the tournament director created my trophy. She scrawled in black ink: WSOP STS Champion Matthew David. And I grinned from ear to ear. "Let's take a photo of you putting it on me," I joked, only seconds before posting the photo to Facebook and texting it to a handful of friends.

I honestly never thought that I would win at a high profile event such as this, but I've been in awe of the poker untouchables and followed the circuit for years. So, a memento of this victory (even though small), has significance to me.

I am grateful for the victory, but I am also grateful for the first hand reminder of how lucky I am to work in an industry that has such power and potential. To make people happy. To deliver a brand engagement experience. And in many circumstances, to motivate or modify behaviors of those that are striving to achieve a reward...or to reach a goal.

So, how much money did I win?
Who cares. I got a bracelet.
- Matt David